Environmental Epidemiology Staff Scientist I
- Scarborough, ME
- Maine Medical Center
- Full Time - Day Shift
- Professional - Nonclinical
- Req #: 141089
Maine Medical Center Research Institute is recruiting for a staff scientist to conduct epidemiologic analyses investigating the impact of exposure to environmental toxicants like air pollution and household chemicals on health outcomes such as obesity and bone health. The staff scientist will conduct independent analyses, assist in grant writing, and co-mentor students. The staff scientist will work alongside Dr. Abby Fleisch, an Associate Professor and pediatric endocrinologist.
We will consider candidates with less than the required experience (e.g., PhD but no postdoctoral training) or more than the required experience (e.g., postdoctoral training plus years worked).
Assists in conducting a variety of research activities. Operates under general guidelines established by senior management and Center Director. Follows safety, human subjects and animal use guidelines. Manages grants or projects including supervision of staff, project reports, etc. with limited oversight from senior management. Assists in monitoring the project budget. Where inventions or other intellectual property are developed during the course of the research, will contribute to the process of working with the patents and licensing office to seek appropriate rights. Ability to supervise and coordinate efforts of staff with limited oversight. Position availability is directly related to grant funding.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to read, write, and speak English effectively
- Math skills, visual acuity, manual dexterity and a scientific acumen is required
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Doctoral degree in relevant biomedical discipline
- Completion of post-doctoral training
- Publication in research or project findings for work carried out as a trainee
- Demonstrated ability to undertake independent research
- Supervises with assistance, one or more major research project.
- Writes grants and obtains funding for major research projects as assigned.
- Teaches and mentors (as assigned by Supervisor) summer students, interns, graduate student and research fellows
- Ensures compliance with all state and federal regulations pertaining to safety, the ethical conduct of research, financial reporting to funding agencies, and standards of professional conduct.
- Discloses all real or potential conflicts of interest
- Encourages congeniality and open communication and promotes teamwork and collaboration
Additional InformationMaine Medical Center is a Magnet designated 606-bed tertiary care and teaching institution. MMC is Maine's largest hospital and a state-wide health care resource. MMC offers outstanding career opportunities and quality of life in Portland.
We offer benefits that support an individual's needs for today and flexibility to plan for tomorrow. Our package includes health and dental insurances, paid parental leave, retirement program, generous paid time off, and much more! Our comprehensive array of benefits are competitive, affordable, and include choices that meet specific, but ever changing, needs.
MaineHealth is a not-for-profit integrated health system consisting of eight local hospital systems, a comprehensive behavioral healthcare network, diagnostic services, home health agencies, and over 19,000 employees. It is the largest health system in northern New England and provides preventive care, diagnosis and treatment to 1.1 million residents in Maine and New Hampshire.
With a career at any of the MaineHealth locations, you’ll be working with healthcare professionals that truly value the people around them – both within the walls of the organization and the neighborhoods that surround it. We are deeply invested in the wellbeing of our communities and employees. We believe in fostering a work environment of strong commitment, compassionate caring and continuous improvement. Our care – and the science behind that care – is top rate. Join us and your abilities will be challenged and enhanced as you take your career to another level.