Certified Diabetes Educator
- Lewiston, ME
- Maine Medical Partners
- Full Time - Day Shift
- Professional - Clinical
- Req #: 140565
Endocrinology & Diabetes Center cares for patients with hormone (glandular) disorders and endocrine problems. We work with people who have thyroid disease, pituitary problems, disorders of growth and development, fertility problems, certain types of bone disease, diabetes mellitus, lipoprotein disorders and other hormone problems.
Under general supervision of the Clinical Manager and Medical Director, responsible for performing nutritional assessments as well as assessing diabetes educational needs. Plans, implements and evaluates nutritional plans and diabetes education for patients with diabetes and their family members in both individual and group settings.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Education: Bachelor's degree in related field or equivalent.
- License/Certifications: Current Maine State Dietician license. Registered Dietician Status by commission of Dietetic Registration. Currently certified or in process of achieving certification as a diabetes educator. Current BLS certification.
- Experience: 2 years’ experience as a practicing dietician. Experience working with computers.
- Knowledge and solid understanding of nutritional assessment including the ability to evaluate anthropometric, biochemical data and cultural, socioeconomic implications on eating habits. Practices nutritional care in accordance with the standards of the American Dietetic Association, American Diabetes Association and the American Heart Association.
- Analytical abilities necessary to evaluate and revise educational programs based upon experience and patient performance.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to conduct formal education programs to counsel patients and family members.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
We offer benefits that support an individual's needs for today and flexibility to plan for tomorrow. Our package includes health and dental insurances, paid parental leave, retirement program, generous paid time off, and much more! Our comprehensive array of benefits are competitive, affordable, and include choices that meet specific, but ever changing, needs.
MaineHealth is a not-for-profit integrated health system consisting of eight local hospital systems, a comprehensive behavioral healthcare network, diagnostic services, home health agencies, and over 19,000 employees. It is the largest health system in northern New England and provides preventive care, diagnosis and treatment to 1.1 million residents in Maine and New Hampshire.
With a career at any of the MaineHealth locations, you’ll be working with healthcare professionals that truly value the people around them – both within the walls of the organization and the neighborhoods that surround it. We are deeply invested in the wellbeing of our communities and employees. We believe in fostering a work environment of strong commitment, compassionate caring and continuous improvement. Our care – and the science behind that care – is top rate. Join us and your abilities will be challenged and enhanced as you take your career to another level.