Charge Registered Nurse (RN) - Special Care Unit
The Charge Nurse works collaboratively with departmental staff, providers, hospital staff, pre-hospital providers and community agencies to provide oversight and direction for the delivery of safe patient and family centered care. The Charge RN interlocks accountability, timelines, and thresholds for all unit operations to ensure an efficient, streamlined length of stay that keeps the patient informed and ensures constant movement towards disposition. He/she assumes the frontline leadership role in the day-to-day operations of the department.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs):
- Education: Graduate of an accredited school of nursing. Completes crucial conversations class within first 6 months of assuming role of Charge Nurse. MOAB or another crisis de-escalation program: within 6 months of assuming role of Charge Nurse
- License/Certifications: Current Maine State Registered Professional Nursing license. CEN preferred. Current BLS certification. Current ACLS certification. Current PALS certification within 6 months of assuming role of Charge Nurse. Applicable certifications encouraged.
- Experience: Greater than 2 years of ICU or Progressive Care experience.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to management, public groups, employees, customers and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent. Ability to calculate medication dosages and pass medication exam.
- Ability to define problems in an objective manner, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Knowledge of Evidence Based Practice and Patient Centered Care.
- Understanding of teamwork and collaboration.
- Effective verbal/written communication skills.
- Knowledge of process improvement and sound safety strategies.
- Competence with computer applications.
We offer benefits that support an individual's needs for today and flexibility to plan for tomorrow. Our package includes health and dental insurances, paid parental leave, retirement program, generous paid time off, and much more! Our comprehensive array of benefits are competitive, affordable, and include choices that meet specific, but ever changing, needs.
MaineHealth is a not-for-profit integrated health system consisting of eight local hospital systems, a comprehensive behavioral healthcare network, diagnostic services, home health agencies, and over 19,000 employees. It is the largest health system in northern New England and provides preventive care, diagnosis and treatment to 1.1 million residents in Maine and New Hampshire.
With a career at any of the MaineHealth locations, you’ll be working with healthcare professionals that truly value the people around them – both within the walls of the organization and the neighborhoods that surround it. We are deeply invested in the wellbeing of our communities and employees. We believe in fostering a work environment of strong commitment, compassionate caring and continuous improvement. Our care – and the science behind that care – is top rate. Join us and your abilities will be challenged and enhanced as you take your career to another level.