This job posting is no longer active.
Maine Medical Center is seeking a Lactation Consultant in Portland. Our International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs) are dedicated to helping mothers reach their breastfeeding goals. They are vital members of the healthcare team committed to promoting and practicing evidence-based infant feeding practices. Every day our IBCLCs are here providing expert guidance and calm support for breastfeeding families.
Lactation Consultants at Maine Medical Center serve patients in the Lactation outpatient clinic as well as in the inpatient setting ranging from Mother Baby Care, the Prenatal Center, Labor and Delivery, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, the Barbara Bush Children’s Hospital Inpatient Pediatric Unit and other locations throughout the hospital. Lactation Consultants work as a part of the greater interdisciplinary team to meet patient clinical needs and feeding goals.
In 2019, Maine Medical Center was awarded the IBCLC Care Award, recognizing maternity and community-based facilities worldwide that hire currently certified International Board Certified Lactation Consultant® (IBCLC®) certificants.
The Lactation Consultant provides breastfeeding support and education for patients and families within the Maine Medical Center service. In addition, the Lactation Consultant will:
- Act as a professional consultant by collaborating with other healthcare providers to develop individual feeding plans.
- Function as an expert resource within and outside of Maine Medical Center.
- Utilize evidence-based interventions that will foster optimum infant nutrition.
NICU specific RN experience is preferred.
- Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Current certification as International Board Certified Lactation Consultant and continuing education necessary to maintain certification (IBCLC)
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certificate
- Experience in a hospital maternity or neonatal setting preferred.
- Minimum Baccalaureate degree or registered nurse.RN preferred. NICU experience desired.
- Demonstrated competency in applying evidence based knowledge, theory, practices, principles, and processes of professional lactation consultation.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to interact effectively with patients, families, and healthcare team members.
- Current license to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in the state of Maine.A Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing is preferred. Must matriculate to a BSN program within one year of hire with completion attained within five years of hire.
MaineHealth is a not-for-profit integrated health system consisting of eight local hospital systems, a comprehensive behavioral healthcare network, diagnostic services, home health agencies, and over 19,000 employees. It is the largest health system in northern New England and provides preventive care, diagnosis and treatment to 1.1 million residents in Maine and New Hampshire.
With a career at any of the MaineHealth locations, you’ll be working with healthcare professionals that truly value the people around them – both within the walls of the organization and the neighborhoods that surround it. We are deeply invested in the wellbeing of our communities and employees. We believe in fostering a work environment of strong commitment, compassionate caring and continuous improvement. Our care – and the science behind that care – is top rate. Join us and your abilities will be challenged and enhanced as you take your career to another level.