Medical Director- Internal Medicine
- Biddeford, ME
- Southern Maine Health Care
- Full Time - Day Shift
- Physician/Physician Practices
- Req #: 129031
The Medical Director will partner with primary care leadership to lead the administrative and clinical operations of the practice to ensure quality of care, patient safety, patient, provider and employee satisfaction and efficient use of resources. The Medical Director is responsible for addressing the needs of the clinicians and staff in their areas of oversight, while aligning individual efforts with the mission, vision, values, strategic goals, and organizational aims of Southern Maine Health Care (SMHC).
The Medical Director will work with the nurse practitioners, physician assistants, physicians, provider leaders, care teams, and management to ensure highest quality, timely access to care for adults in the communities served by SMHC.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in medical leadership preferred.
- MD/DO Degree Required.
- Completion of leadership training is required.
- Strong organizational, collaboration, and time management skills required.
- Ensure representation of Primary Care to MH committees and workgroups as prioritized with Sr. Medical Director.
- Supervises Associate Directors.
- Completion of leadership training is required.
- Responsible for oversight of teaching, research, and grants implemented within primary care.
- Provides clinical operations oversight of the practice and associated satellite practices working collaboratively with administrative leadership.
- Communicates, implements, and monitors best practice initiatives in alignment with organizational goals, objectives, and Annual Implementation Plan (AIP).
- Responsible for the continued transformation to the Quadruple Aim: Patients, People, Population, Value.
- Accountable for the development, implementation, and success of the quality, safety and financial performance of the center.
- Responsible for the performance and behavior of individual providers in areas of oversight.
- Works with the administrative leader, Associate Directors, and SMHC risk manager to address patient complaints and safety events.
- Participates in the development and implementation of organizational policies and procedures and ensures that clinical work is in compliance with laws and regulations.
- Leverages LEAN methodology and microsystem models to standardize work flow across areas of oversight.
- With input from the Associate Directors and managers, develops and reviews annual performance evaluations with all providers in areas of oversight.
- Facilitates and supports innovation to find faster, more cost effective, less complicated ways of solving problems.
- Accountable for the quality and safety as well as productivity and operational efficiency in areas of oversight.
- Works with the administrative leader and Associate Directors on provider scheduling, and coordinates office based schedules in all areas of oversight with call schedules and after hours’ coverage.
- Works closely with the administrative leader, and Associate Directors to ensure the day-to-day function and performance of all areas of oversight.
- Professionalism: Models professional behavior in both clinical practice and administrative responsibilities. Demonstrates caring, respectful and compassionate attitude towards all people, and takes responsibility for personal growth.
- Openness: Is appropriately transparent with others and shares information and reactions in ways that s/he wants to grow these skills in others. Also demonstrates and openness to ideas that differ from their own and encourages their expression.
- Dealing with conflict: Is skilled at surfacing and sharpening the issues in a conflict situation and adept at resolving conflicts while tending to the needs of those involved whenever possible.
- Decision Making: Able to make decisions within the scope of the position and can anticipate ramifications. Is clear with those impacted by the decision how it is going to be made. Makes decisions based on appropriate data, in a timely fashion and communicates effectively with those impacted by the decision.
- Communication: Is both an effective listener and presenter of ideas. Is as interested in the ideas of others as they are in their own.
May perform other duties as assigned
We offer benefits that support an individual's needs for today and flexibility to plan for tomorrow. Our package includes health and dental insurances, paid parental leave, retirement program, generous paid time off, and much more! Our comprehensive array of benefits are competitive, affordable, and include choices that meet specific, but ever changing, needs.
MaineHealth is a not-for-profit integrated health system consisting of eight local hospital systems, a comprehensive behavioral healthcare network, diagnostic services, home health agencies, and over 19,000 employees. It is the largest health system in northern New England and provides preventive care, diagnosis and treatment to 1.1 million residents in Maine and New Hampshire.
With a career at any of the MaineHealth locations, you’ll be working with healthcare professionals that truly value the people around them – both within the walls of the organization and the neighborhoods that surround it. We are deeply invested in the wellbeing of our communities and employees. We believe in fostering a work environment of strong commitment, compassionate caring and continuous improvement. Our care – and the science behind that care – is top rate. Join us and your abilities will be challenged and enhanced as you take your career to another level.