Research Fellow-Hernandez Lab
- Portland, ME
- Maine Medical Center
- Full Time - Day Shift
- Professional - Clinical
- Req #: 128184
Situated on the Maine coast, Portland offers the best of urban sophistication combined with seaside charm. The Old Port area receives tourists from around the world with nationally recognized restaurants, breweries, and hotels. In fact, Portland was recently named “2018 Restaurant City of the Year” by Bon Appétit Magazine. The area has an active outdoor community providing four-season recreational opportunities such as skiing, hiking, sailing, and miles of beautiful beaches. Just two hours north of Boston, this is an exceptionally diverse and vibrant community.
- Conducts a variety of complex laboratory procedures and is able to conduct independent research in consultation with the principal investigator. The research fellow has a sufficient level of experience, expertise and independence to conduct a defined research project, including project inception and design, implementation, and completion, with reporting of results in a peer reviewed forum consisting of oral and written presentation.
- The successful candidate will work in the laboratory of Arturo Hernandez at Maine Medical Center Research Institute. Research projects will involve the use of transgenic mouse and cell culture models to delineate the pathophysiological consequences and underlying mechanisms by which developmental overexposure to thyroid hormones leads to disease in later life, and also in non-exposed subsequent generations via epigenetic mechanisms. The laboratory focuses on endpoints relevant to complex endocrine, developmental and neurobehavioral conditions in humans including autism, schizophrenia, depression, congenital defects, obesity and infertility. The candidate is expected to be a motivated individual that has recently completed or is close to complete his/her Ph.D. The candidate should have a strong background in biochemistry, molecular and cellular biology, and genetics. Experience in one or more of the following fields, including endocrinology, neuroscience, epigenetics, developmental biology, thyroid hormone physiology and/or bioinformatics, will be valued.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA’s)
- A doctoral degree (e.g. PhD, MD, DO, DVM, PharmD)
- The ability to comply with research regulations, standards, and policies, and established skills in good laboratory practice, data collection and analysis.
- Communication skills that are sufficiently developed that the individual at this level will be able to present research results orally and in written form.
- Conducts complex laboratory procedures and analyses using a variety of manual techniques and laboratory instrumentation.
- Collects data and is competent in data storage, analysis, statistical analysis, and data visualization.
- Collaborates with the PI and other institute investigators as part of the overall responsibility for project inception and completion.
- Promotes a culture of equity and inclusion
Education and Development
- Participates in the training of undergraduates, summer students, graduate students and institute personnel at all levels in the research associates area of expertise, including advanced training on use of institute instrumentation cores where applicable.
- Stays current in literature relevant to area of research interest and expertise. May present research results at institutional meetings and at local, regional, or national conferences
- May provide substantial input, both data and its interpretation, in the preparation of both manuscripts and grants.
- Interprets and presents research results in manuscript form where the research fellow has been the principal participant in a research project.
Will be proactive in identifying, reporting and participating in the resolution of any potential or actual safety issues.
We offer benefits that support an individual's needs for today and flexibility to plan for tomorrow. Our package includes health and dental insurances, paid parental leave, retirement program, generous paid time off, and much more! Our comprehensive array of benefits are competitive, affordable, and include choices that meet specific, but ever changing, needs.
MaineHealth is a not-for-profit integrated health system consisting of eight local hospital systems, a comprehensive behavioral healthcare network, diagnostic services, home health agencies, and over 19,000 employees. It is the largest health system in northern New England and provides preventive care, diagnosis and treatment to 1.1 million residents in Maine and New Hampshire.
With a career at any of the MaineHealth locations, you’ll be working with healthcare professionals that truly value the people around them – both within the walls of the organization and the neighborhoods that surround it. We are deeply invested in the wellbeing of our communities and employees. We believe in fostering a work environment of strong commitment, compassionate caring and continuous improvement. Our care – and the science behind that care – is top rate. Join us and your abilities will be challenged and enhanced as you take your career to another level.