Medical Director - Hospitalist Program
This job posting is no longer active.
- Biddeford, ME
- Southern Maine Health Care
- Full Time - Day/Evening
- Physician/Physician Practices
- Req #: 128237
The Medical Director reports to the Senior Medical Director of Hospital Services and is responsible for providing clinical and administrative leadership for the Southern Maine Health Care Hospitalist Service. The Medical Director position is comprised of 0.5 FTE administrative and 0.5 FTE clinical time. The Medical Director is required to maintain sufficient clinical time to remain competent in their specialty. The Medical Director will provide direct oversight of the Associate Medical Director(s) and Assistant Medical Director(s) for the Hospitalist Service, Palliative Care Program and Hospital Elder Life Services and supervision of physicians and APPs in these services. The Medical Director is responsible for ensuring the provision of high quality, evidence-based, and patient-centered clinical care. The Medical Director collaborates with the program administrative director in a dyad leadership model. The Medical Director also collaborates with the Hospitalist Medical Director at Maine Medical Center and other MMC/MaineHealth leaders.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The Medical Director is required to have the following:
- Medical Doctorate or Doctorate of Osteopathy from an accredited medical school and completion of an approved residency program
- Board Certification
- Leadership training preferred (Hanley Physician Executive Leadership Institute (PELI), MaineHealth Physician Leadership Development Fellowship (PLDF), or equivalent.) If no prior leadership training, the title will be Acting Medical Director until leadership training is obtained in a time frame agreed upon with the Senior Medical Director
- Leadership experience preferred
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to build consensus and engage physicians
The following duties and accountabilities illustrate the range of tasks assigned to the position. Other essential functions may be assigned consistent with the general scope of the position.
- Care Team Well Being
- Oversee recruitment, credentialing and privileging of clinical providers
- Oversee provider onboarding
- Develop and implement retention strategies
- Coordinate clinical provider schedules
- Facilitate monthly department provider meetings
- Participate in regular APP meetings
- Evaluate physicians and APPs through performance reviews
- Support provider professional development
- Identify and develop future leadership in department
- Provide direct support to associate medical directors, assistant medical directors and the department leadership dyad partner
- Ensure APPs receive appropriate clinical development and supervision
- Participate in disciplinary actions, as needed
- Healthy Communities
- Ensure patient Access consistent with organizational standards
- Support organizationally prioritized Community Health Need initiatives
- Patient Centered Care
- Support Patient Experience initiatives
- Improve clinical performance, through evidence-based programs and processes
- Develop and oversee clinical and quality programs and protocols
- Oversee utilization review activities
- Ensure Joint Commission/CMS readiness of the group
- Address patient complaints
- Identify and remedy Patient Safety concerns
- Report Quality benchmarks to appropriate bodies (Medical Staff, SMHC Quality Committee, MaineHealth, Joint Commission, and State and Federal Regulators)
- Organize and ensure timely responses to FPPE, OPPE and Peer Reviews
- Participate in organizationally prioritized committees
- Affordable Care
- Participate in specialty budget development
- Monitor budget performance
- Assist in Pro-Forma development
- Implement strategies under new payment models (e.g. Risk Based contracting)
- Develop and implement MMC Internal Medicine resident rotations at SMHC
- MMC resident site leader
- Medical and APP student liaison
The Medical Director will develop 3-5 Smart Goals each year and meet regularly with the Senior Medical Director of Hospital Services to review goal progress.
We offer benefits that support an individual's needs for today and flexibility to plan for tomorrow. Our package includes health and dental insurances, paid parental leave, retirement program, generous paid time off, and much more! Our comprehensive array of benefits are competitive, affordable, and include choices that meet specific, but ever changing, needs.
MaineHealth is a not-for-profit integrated health system consisting of eight local hospital systems, a comprehensive behavioral healthcare network, diagnostic services, home health agencies, and over 19,000 employees. It is the largest health system in northern New England and provides preventive care, diagnosis and treatment to 1.1 million residents in Maine and New Hampshire.
With a career at any of the MaineHealth locations, you’ll be working with healthcare professionals that truly value the people around them – both within the walls of the organization and the neighborhoods that surround it. We are deeply invested in the wellbeing of our communities and employees. We believe in fostering a work environment of strong commitment, compassionate caring and continuous improvement. Our care – and the science behind that care – is top rate. Join us and your abilities will be challenged and enhanced as you take your career to another level.